- Mitacs graduate and post-doc funding (for private sector /NGO internships, or academic travel scholarships)
How to do science
- Konrad's paper writing 101
- Konrad's 10 simple rules for structuring papers advice: read this before you start writing!!!
- PLoS CB - 10 simple rules collection: a must read for everyone!
- Colorbrewer: great tool for selecting colour schemes on publications
- How to peer review a manuscript: Webinar and resources from SfN Neuronline.
- How To Review Modelling Papers: A webinar + resources from SfN Neuronline. The webinar date has passed, but if you 'register' there is an email link that will lead you to the archived video.
- The pleasure of publishing (Malhotra & Marder, 2015): Elife editors' opinions on what makes an effective manuscript.
How to be successful
- Ed Boyden's advice on how to think
- Developing better thought processes
- How to argue well
- Habits for success
- Hitchhikers guide to a Career in Neuroscience
- Slow is smooth and smooth is fast
- Survival Skills for Graduate School and Beyond (Fischer and Zigmond, 1998; still very applicable)
- 3 golden rules of scientific success by Dijkstra
Work-life balance & mental health
As an undergraduate, graduate student or postdoc, as exciting a time as this is, you will face stress, frustration and deception. Your passion for science can suck up all your time and wack your physical and mental health out of balance. This can lead to a downward spiral out of which comes no good. Yes, grad school / postdoc work is hard, don't let it destroy you. So here are a few tips to avoid that in the first place.
- Get enough exercise and sleep!
- The Happy PhD zone: how to maintain a work-life balance in academia
- 6 Ways To Survive Grad School and Achieve Work-Life Balance
- Official McGill University guidelines on work-life balance
- How to maintain your sanity during grad school
- Grad school survival tips
- Break or burn out: a nice article in Nature
- Creative outlets and Scientific Success Scientists are not more likely to have creative outlets, but the most successful ones are