A list of useful resources on the web.
- Matrix cookbook
- Image filtering, edge detection, etc. (Computer vision)
- Hough transform tutorial (Computer vision)
- Introductory tutorial on Wavelet transforms
- Imaging Brain Function with EEG: Advanced Temporal and Spatial Analysis of EEG Signals (Book by Walter J. Freeman)
- Bayesian Cognitive Modeling: A Practical Course
- Rice University online Stats book
- Markov Chain Monte Carlo in practice - book
- Bootstrap methods & significance estimation
- how to do repeated measures ANOVA in Matlab (by Parisa)
- Ten Simple Rules for Effective Statistical Practice
- Testing Hypotheses About Psychometric Functions
- Latin square method for experimental design
How to do science
- Konrad's paper writing 101
- Konrad's 10 simple rules for structuring papers advice: read this before you start writing!!!
- PLoS CB - 10 simple rules collection: a must read for everyone!
- Colorbrewer: great tool for selecting colour schemes on publications
- How to peer review a manuscript: Webinar and resources from SfN Neuronline.
- How To Review Modelling Papers: A webinar + resources from SfN Neuronline. The webinar date has passed, but if you 'register' there is an email link that will lead you to the archived video.
- The pleasure of publishing (Malhotra & Marder, 2015): Elife editors' opinions on what makes an effective manuscript.
How to be successful
- Ed Boyden's advice on how to think
- Developing better thought processes
- How to argue well
- Habits for success
- Hitchhikers guide to a Career in Neuroscience
- Slow is smooth and smooth is fast
Work-life balance & mental health
As an undergraduate, graduate student or postdoc, as exciting a time as this is, you will face stress, frustration and deception. Your passion for science can suck up all your time and wack your physical and mental health out of balance. This can lead to a downward spiral out of which comes no good. Yes, grad school / postdoc work is hard, don't let it destroy you. So here are a few tips to avoid that in the first place.
- Get enough exercise and sleep!
- The Happy PhD zone: how to maintain a work-life balance in academia
- 6 Ways To Survive Grad School and Achieve Work-Life Balance
- Official McGill University guidelines on work-life balance
- How to maintain your sanity during grad school
- Grad school survival tips
- Break or burn out: a nice article in Nature